let your light shine

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

JESUS, son of God: shall save his people from their sins.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Life is Like Jellybeans.........Most Days are Beautiful.........


I had a rough day recently.  I recounted the rough parts to my special friend Jean, and the quintessential teacher (15 years retired) she got back with me to share an idea that she wanted me to use with my daughter (who calls her Aunt Jean) to illustrate a healthy perspective on the bad stuff that happens.  We discussed pretty marbles vs. black marbles, red checkers vs. black checkers but when the idea of jellybeans came, I knew THAT was the option I would go with.  

Aunt Jean's life lesson plan was that I start with an empty jar, and recall the events or observations for the day with my daughter, careful to cover the wonderful and good points, and each time a positive remark is made, drop a pretty color in the jar.  I had told her black was my least favorite color, so when I recalled or reviewed a negative from our day, I was to drop a black in the jar.  Lastly I should summarize to my daughter that life is like that....filled with good and bad, but usually more good than bad, if we look carefully, and what are we going to choose to focus on? ...the beautiful colors, or the black??

I now have a new affection for jellybeans.  And yes, I am aware that black can be beautiful, and as a matter of fact, I wore a black shirt proudly, all day today.
 Also I am aware that some people like the black jellybeans.  My mom does.  Fine.  I love the pretty colors.  I love to remember that most days are beautiful.  Most days are filled with good stuff.  All the more for Christians, who are just passing through in this world.  We are Heaven bound. Looking at events of my day, or jellybeans in a jar, I choose to look at the pretty ones.  May your days be colorful and beautiful.  

2 comments:

Grandma Mary Martha: Do Share the Flowers !!

Grandma Mary Martha: Do Share the Flowers !! : Have you ever read Gary Chapman's book, The Five Love Languages  ?  You should read it un...