let your light shine

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

JESUS, son of God: shall save his people from their sins.

Friday, April 28, 2017

Books; some of my not new treasures:


Oh how I love books !!  My husband never had to worry about me spending too much money on clothes.  He had to remind me or encourage me to buy clothes....... but BOOKS...... that's a different story.  He was wise to keep me out of bookstores.

Now it will be my delight, to share some of my favorites here.  I think I will go in somewhat of a chronological order.

First let me recommend anything by Joni Eareckson Tada.  I read this after my mother gave it to me.  I think I was in junior high, and this autobiography captivated me, and spoke to my heart about deep and important truths.  
I HIGHLY recommend this book for young adults, teens, or anyone who has a heart. I can honestly say that Joni's story here, planted seeds of hope in my heart that I have carried with me since.  Thank you Mrs. Tada.  She married, later, and wrote more...... Search her, and find her books !!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
............................................................................................................




I was out of college and working, when an "older lady" recommended this book to me.  This is another author that blew my socks off, but this is my favorite of the books I read by him.  The simple message, simple love, simple life, that Mr. Girzone's character of Joshua lives out where ever he settles, was sweet like honey on homemade bread with real butter.  I wanted to share it with all my precious friends.  I lent my original copy out until it was not returned, and bought copies as gifts to give.  You will NOT be sorry if you chase down a copy, sink in to your favorite spot and join him.πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
............................................................................................................
Now let me tell you about this little gem.  It is called Betty Zane , and it is written by Zane Grey, 1933 copyright.  It surely is not my usual genre, but a special friend gave it to me.  A dear sweet man, my old poet friend, Itasca Cody Cox,  gave it to me in 1999 when he was filtering through his possessions, preparing to move into a house that his youngest daughter had built for him on a lake.  He told me that daughter came to he and his wife late in life and unexpected, but that she told him when she was 13 that someday she was going to live on a lake, and build him a house by hers.... AND SHE DID.  Mr. Cox and I had connected on poetry.  A grand poet he was.

2009, I finally read the book.  I wrote it in the cover.  WOW, was it a treat !!  I went back in time and experienced life on the early American  frontier.  I wore long full skirts and had tough sharp shooter men in leather fringed coats visit my cabin and defend us against flaming arrows shot  at our thatched roofs, by Indians who felt betrayed, threatened, angry and distrustful.  For me, this was an escape, pure fantasy entertainment.  I had an interesting, dangerous adventure in wild country, from my bed.  I remember where I was when I read it.πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
............................................................................................................

This is an amazing piece of literature.  True documentations of modern and ancient martyrs for Christ.  Talk about heavy content!  Cool thing about this book is that each case is only a few pages long.  Believe it or not, I shared much of this book with my five year old son. (He's 21 now, and brilliant of course.)  I just paraphrased the stories if the language seemed too deep.  It makes you think, and makes you be grateful.  Since Fox's Book of Martyrs (I always considered it too difficult to read), this book Jesus Freaks, produced by dc talk and nonprofit group, " Voice of the Martyrs," belongs in every Christian library in the free world.
πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
............................................................................................................
πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris, is a good read for parents and teens, or single Christians.  It is another one that I bought and gave as gifts years ago.  It communicates logic on the subject of interpersonal relationships among singles.  If more people followed Joshua's advice, there WOULD be less heart ache. It is easy and fun to read, and sensible, I thought!
............................................................................................................
πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™Everything by Gary Chapman must rock !  (teen talk for be very good)  The Four Season's of Marriage, is a good book. My sister lent it to me, but The Five Love Languages, practically changed my life
as it gave me understanding and insight on so many of my important relationships......................... Actually, it makes a great marriage gift, especially for young people.  It is easy to read, and could change your life too!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
............................................................................................................
Oh Elizabeth George!!!  What a great mentor of young women you are in your books!!πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™  I can't even remember all of her books that I have read.  Loved every one!  Want advice from a Godly, wise, loving woman?  Elizabeth George does it in her books!

Just want some entertainment?  πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™Good, clean, uplifting entertainment?  Be transported to another time, another place, and experience the trials and blessings of one of Janette Oke's characters, who learns and grows as she walks with her Lord.  I recall some of her men characters as well, are Godly and role model worthy.  I thank God for YOU,  Mrs. Oke, for your contributions to literature !  These are in a special collection box for my daughter and she has already enjoyed a few!  How cool is that?!
Stormie Omartian has encouraged and guided many women with her practical application, and examples to help you apply God's word for the edification of your family.  If you have never read anything by Stormie Omartian, you need to put it on your bucket list  for sure !πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™
By accident, I discovered Tracie Peterson through this book.  If you enjoy vulnerable but strong women characters, this book will give you a big helping of satisfaction and intrigue, along with adventure, suspense, on a table cloth of HOPE.πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™

Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my favorite books with you.  More is on the way.  Have a blessed dayπŸ’™

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Tammy for this list of books and your comments on them. I wrote down 3 that I really want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME Becky! Thanks for dropping by, and for taking the time to share a comment. Hope you enjoy the book that you wrote down, as much as I did. Those in the picture, I will lend to you! Love you, sweet friend

      Delete

Grandma Mary Martha: Do Share the Flowers !!

Grandma Mary Martha: Do Share the Flowers !! : Have you ever read Gary Chapman's book, The Five Love Languages  ?  You should read it un...